MAMARONECK, N.Y. -- Wesley Troeger performed with the Mamaroneck High School (MHS) jazz band "A" in last year's Westchester County High School Jazz Festival, but this year he will also perform in one of two select bands for the annual event.
Troeger, 17, plays double bass and electric bass and has been in the MHS jazz band since his freshman year. In January, he was one of seven MHS students selected for the countywide band, which is made up of the top high school players from around the county. They will perform at the festival Friday at 8 p.m. at Mamaroneck High School.
The Jazz Festival has been held in Mamaroneck for five consecutive years, but this may be the last for a while, said Debbie Manetta, spokesperson for the Mamaroneck School District.
Last weekend, Troeger and the MHS Jazz Band took second place in the 44th annual Berklee High School Jazz Festival competition in Boston, Mass. More than 200 high school jazz ensembles performed for over 5,000 people, according to the festival website.
Mamaroneck finished second in the combo ensembles, one of three categories that also include large ensembles and vocal jazz ensembles.
The All County Jazz Festival begins at 8 p.m. in the McLain Auditorium. Guest conductors Jason Rigby and Dan Brown will lead the two All-County bands. The MHS Jazz Band will also perform, along with New Rochelle and Hastings-on-Hudson High School.
Tickets are $10 at the door, and will benefit the Westchester County School Music Association. Admission for students is free.
The following students were selected from Mamaroneck High School:
- Wesley Troeger, bass, "A" band
- Sam Riessen, guitar, "A" band
- Danny Neuman, piano, "A" band
- William Sach, bass, "B" band
- Max Gersh, baritone saxophone, "A" band
- Juliet Strauss, trombone, "B" band
- Miles Weinrib, drum-set, "B" band
- Dan Baigel, alto saxophone, alternate
Music lovers can also attend the following student concerts:
- MHS Symphony and Chamber Orchestra Concert in the MHS McLain Auditorium March 20 at 7:30 p.m.
- Hommocks Pops Concert in the Hommocks Auditorium March 21 at 7:30 p.m.
- Vocal and Band Ensemble Concert in the MHS McLain Auditorium March 22 at 7:30 p.m.
- Essentially Ellington Regional Jazz Festival, . The MHS jazz band will perform around 4 p.m. The festival is March 24 and will be held at the Greenwich High School, 10 Hillside Rd. Greenwich, Conn. from 11:30 am-6 pm.
This story has been updated to include William Sach as one of the seven students selected to perform in the county-wide band at the Jazz Festival Friday. School District spokeperson Debbie Manetta said Sach was added to the band later in the process.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.