CARLSTADT, N.J. -- DV Home Cooking is devoted to readers and their recipes. All we ask is that you're a home cook, not a professional chef. Got a favorite dish you want to share? Send it, along with the story behind it, to DVHomeCooking@dailyvoice.com.
Home Cook: Kelly O'Leary, Carlstadt, NJ
"I'm a total foodie and often look for ways to create new or enhance other recipes. My five-year-old son can be difficult to please when it comes to food due to texture aversions that are common with autism. After tasting the recipes below, he has actually requested this dish on multiple occasions. That is a huge deal for an autism family."
Recipe: Juicy Onion Pork Chops
- 2 Cups Italian bread crumbs
- 1 Envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 2 to 3 Eggs
- 6 to 8 Thick Pork Chops
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1.5 tsp Butter
- Heat oil on medium for frying.
- Spread or spatter butter on the bottom of a deep baking pan.
- Add envelope of the dry onion soup mix to bread crumbs and mix.
- Dip pork chops into beaten eggs, then coat with the bread crumb mix.
- Fry pork chops about one and a half minutes on each side (try not to let them stick so the coating stays intact).
- Remove excess oil from the pork chops and place them in the baking pan.
- Bake at 350 until desired wellness.The chops' juices will be locked in and they are very tasty.
My version of Coconut Rice complements the pork chops wonderfully.
- 2 cups Jasmine rice
- 1 cup Cream of Coconut (Goya or Coco Lopez)
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Sugar (optional as the cream of coconut is sweet also)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil (optional for a stronger coconut flavor)
- 2 Cups water (can replace with chicken stock or add chicken bouillon)
- Clean rice in a big bowl until water runs clear (three rinses does the trick).
- Add tsp of coconut oil to the rice pot, followed by the 2 cups of rice, one cup of cream of coconut, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 2 cups water or stock or bouillon and stir all of the ingredients.
- Select the white rice setting.
- When rice is complete, stir, cover and turn the machine off.
- Let stand at least three minutes.
- Follow timing instructions on the package. When rice is complete, stir, cover and let stand at least three minutes.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.