Home Cook: Jon Neschis, Norwalk, Conn.
During the summer months we eat a lot of littleneck clams at home, and I wanted to find a quick, simple way to keep that going throughout the rest of the year. I work long hours at my advertising business, Jigsaw Media in Westport, so I'm always looking for something easy to make.
I’d never tried store-bought canned clams before, so I decided to give them a shot, and they do a fine job when used in this recipe. Most homes have these ingredients on hand, making it a great dish to cook any night of the week. Make sure to allow enough time for the pasta to absorb the sauce in the pan.
Recipe: Linguini (or Fettuccine) with White Clam Sauce
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup clam juice
- 2 cans chopped clams
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 pound linguini or fettuccini
- ¼ cup chopped parsley flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook for one to two minutes (don’t burn the garlic).
- Add thyme and wine. Reduce wine for one to two minutes. Add clam juice from the canned clams which should amount to 1 cup.
- Stir in clams and lemon zest, stirring occasionally for five minutes. Cook pasta (al dente), drain and add to skillet, tossing for three to four minutes until pasta has absorbed most of the sauce.
- Add salt, pepper to taste. Sprinkle parsley over top.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Mamaroneck and receive free news updates.