RYE, N.Y. -- As referenced in my last article, new construction homes have become increasingly popular among recent buyers. What are some of their favorite features that leans them in that direction? Let's take a look:
- All White Kitchen . No surprise here, the all white kitchen with Carrera Marble or Quartz Countertops on the grand island continues to be the gold standard for today's kitchens. Decorated in the transitional style , the kitchen/family room is the heart of the home and the local designers tell me that the all white trend is still going strong.
- Soaking tubs. These deep, comfortable stand alone bathtubs are a definite must have in the new (also all white) master bathrooms. Gone are the massive jacuzzi tubs of the past. Shower stalls built for two are also becoming more common in the master bath. Heated floors and towel racks continue to be popular features.
- A powder room for the kids. A personal favorite design feature of mine in today's homes are 2 powder rooms on the first floor -- one for guests in the more formal area of the home, as well as a casual powder room adjacent to the mud room and cubbies that handles the heavy family traffic.
- Tricked out lower level. A common reason why some buyers who start out looking for older homes end up choosing new. A playroom area, state of the art gym, guest bedroom and bath and wine cellar generally complete these areas. Radiant heated floors in the basement are a plus.
- High ceilings. The new construction homes in this area generally have a minimum of 9 foot ceilings on every level, including the basement level. More than anything else, this is what I see as the most prevalent reason that recent buyers choose new. However, many grand homes built in the early 1900's also have high ceilings on the main levels and these homes, when fully renovated with today's spaces and updated electrical systems, are always in style.
I will be soon be listing a new 6-bedroom construction home in Rye City School District by an established local builder that will include these popular features. Contact me for more information.
Judy Croughan is a real estate agent serving Rye and neighboring communities for Julia B. Fee Sotheby's International Realty. Contact her at email@example.com or at 914-262-5323.