WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- The American Red Cross encourages eligible donors to give blood during National Volunteer Month this April and has announced donation sites throughout Westchester County.
The Red Cross salutes the hundreds of thousands of volunteers who help fulfill its lifesaving mission and encourages others to join their ranks as volunteer blood donors. Volunteer donors are the only source of blood products for those in need of transfusions. Donors of all blood types – especially those with types O negative, A negative and B negative – are needed to help ensure blood is available for patients this spring.
Those who are unable to give blood can support blood donations and invite others to make a lifesaving donation by creating a SleevesUp virtual blood drive at redcrossblood.org/SleevesUp. To make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (800) 733-2767.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Harrison, from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8, Veterans Memorial Building, 216 Halstead Ave.;
- New Rochelle, from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 7, Dumont Center, 676 Pelham Road and from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Friday, April 10, New Rochelle Public Library, One Library Plaza, Lawton Street;
- Pleasantville, from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8, Pace University, 861 Bedford Road;
- White Plains, from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 2, Pace Law School, 78 North Broadway;
- and Yonkers, from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 12, St Andrews Marthoma Church, 58 Crescent Place.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with written consent from parent or legal guardian), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Harrison and receive free news updates.