Contact Us
Greenburgh Daily Voice serves Ardsley, Edgemont & Greenburgh
Return to your home site


Greenburgh Daily Voice serves Ardsley, Edgemont & Greenburgh

Nearby Sites


Boiler Room Fire Brings Firefighters Into the Cold

GREENBURGH, N.Y. – A fire broke out in the basement of a Greenburgh home on High Street Wednesday afternoon, seemingly caused by a boiler, said Elmsford Fire Chief Richard Hoke.

The Elmsford Fire Department was first on scene after responding to a call at 1:57 p.m. at 9 N. High Street. Upon arrival, firefighters saw smoke billowing from the house while the inhabitants waited outside in the 25 degree weather.

The boiler room fire spread to the second floor, although firefighters were able to contain the flames shortly after arriving on scene. By 2:45 p.m., the fire was knocked down with crews inside checking for any lingering extension.

A member from the Greenburgh Building Department was on hand to access the house's damage. Hoke said he could not ascertain why the boiler room caught fire or whether it had anything to do with the recent drop in temperature. The fire department is continuing its investigation.

Traffic on the east end of Payne Street, which leads to North High Street, was congested as the fire departments and Con Edison responded to the fire.

The Elmsford Fire Department was joined by Fairview Fire, Valhalla Fire, Hawthorne Fire, Hartsdale Fire and the Ardsley EMS unit. The Tarrytown and Irvington Fire Departments were on stand by, covering the village of Elmsford in case of any other fire outbreaks, said Elmsford Fire Captain Stephen Woehrle.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.