DUTCHESS COUNTY N.Y. -- Embrace the season and head for the hills -- and orchards -- for apple and pumpkin picking -- and the quintessential outdoor fall experience (cider doughnuts optional).
What's Your Favorite Apple?
A sampling of Dutchess County spots follows.
- Barton Orchards, Poughquag: With more than 120 acres, you'll find loads of apple choices along with hayrides through the pumpkin patch, petting zoo, market, and bakery. Go: 63 Apple Tree Ln., 845- 227-2306
- Cedar Heights Orchard, Rhinebeck: Check out the many varieties of apples here -- the signage is clearly marked so you can find the kind you like. Go: 8 Crosby Ln, 845- 876-3231
- Dykeman Farm, Pawling: Enjoy a hayride, face painting and pick-your-own-pumpkins at this 70-year-old farm stand and orchard. Go: West Dover Road and Dutchess Route 20, 845-832-6068
- Fishkill Farms, Hopewell Junction: There's lots going on at this bustling farm where you can fill your bags with apples and take in the country atmosphere. You'll also find hayrides, pumpkin-picking and lots of locally produced items at the farm store. Go: 9 Fishkill Farm Rd., 845-897-4377
- Fraleigh’s Rose Hill Farm, Red Hook: A family-run operation for more than 200 years, this scenic spot offers a host of apples complete with a chart listing their varieties and picking schedule; go to their website for more details. Go: 19 Rose Hill Farm, 845-758-4215
- Greig Farm, Red Hook: Jonagold, Empire and Red Delicious can be found here along with pumpkins 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week. Go: 263 Pitcher Ln., 845-758-1234
- Meadowbrook Farm Market, Wappinger Falls: Along with the pumpkins and apple cider, Meadowbrook is now selling apple brandy made exclusively from its fresh pressed apple cider. Go: 29 Old Myers Corners Rd., 845- 297-3002
- Mead Orchards, Tivoli: This picturesque, 180-acre fruit orchard and vegetable farm grows 40 varieties of apples (Cortland, Gala, McIntosh) along with winter squashes, pumpkins, and gourds. There's also always something fun to buy at their weekend farm stand. Go:15 Scism Rd., 845-756-5641
- Wilklow Orchards, Highland: Pick your own apples and pumpkins at this sixth-generation family farm where you'll also find hayrides, a petting zoo and an indoor greenhouse filled with kid-friendly activities. Go: 341 Pancake Hollow Rd., 845-691-2339
Have another spot you like? Tell us about it in our comments, add to Facebok or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.