MONTROSE, N.Y. ? A house fire at 4 Lent Ave. across the street from the home of an assistant Montrose fire chief forced three residents to evacuate early Tuesday morning, according to the Montrose Fire Department.
"I'm just glad everybody got out safe, especially a 12:30 at night, that's a critical hour," said Second Assistant Chief Rob Porter, who said he lives "directly across the street" from the home and helped evacuate the occupants.
Porter said that by the time he came out of his house and saw the fire "there was heavy fire on the left side of the house." He said it's still unclear if the smoke alarms were working in the house.
The fire was under control in approximately 20 minutes, Porter said, and mutual aid was provided by the Croton Fire Department, Verplanck Fire Department, Buchanan Fire Department and Cortlandt Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Porter said the electrical fire began in a laundry room.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.