BEDFORD, N.Y. – The Town of Bedford Police Department sent out a statement Monday afternoon reminding residents “that from time-to-time, larcenies from vehicles do occur.”
“Theft is a crime of opportunity and the best method to prevent these types of crimes is to deny potential offenders the opportunity to commit them,” Bedford Police said in the statement.
Bedford Police suggested the following tips to prevent theft of your auto or theft of property from within it:
- Always lock your car, even at home. About half of stolen vehicles are not locked, and a significant number of thefts occur in the vehicle owner’s driveway.
- Never leave your keys in your car. Roughly 20% of stolen cars get driven away with their own keys.
- Hide your valuables. Don’t tempt a thief by leaving valuables in plain sight.
- Keep your windows completely closed when you’re not in the vehicle. An open window makes it easier for a thief to unlock your car.
- If you see something, say something. When you see suspicious or out of the ordinary activity, call the police at the time you observe the activity. Delaying a call to the police reduces the likelihood of identifying the offender.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.