BEDFORD, N.Y. Hundreds of young children are killed each year in collisions with cars, and thousands more are severely injured, according to Bedford Police Chief William Hayes.
The Bedford Police Department is urging residents to drive carefully and parents to teach their children some simple safety tips before they head back to school.
"This week, thousands of children will be walking to and from school and school buses, many for the first time," said Hayes in a statement. "Everyone who drives has a responsibility to be especially careful during this busy time for youngsters."
To help young students protect themselves, Hayes offered these six pedestrian-safety tips from AAA New York:
- Look both ways before crossing the street.
- Cross only at corners, if possible.
- Obey police officers, school crossing guards and traffic signals.
- Watch for turning cars.
- Be especially alert in bad weather.
- Keep a safe distance from the road when playing.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.