Contact Us
Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah
Return to your home site

Menu

Bedford Daily Voice serves Bedford, Bedford Hills & Katonah
News

Bedford Inspector Urges Powerless to Seek Shelter

BEDFORD, N.Y. -- The death of a Dutchess County resident allegedly due to the snow-related power outages this past weekend has opened local eyes.

The death was presumably due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a grill brought inside for warmth. Bedford Town Building Inspector Steven Fraietta is urging local residents to be careful and not become creative.

“My advice is, if they don't have power or a proper backup generator, they should go stay with friends and family that do,” said Fraietta. “Or seek out a local shelter so they can be warm.”

The Bedford Hills Town House is open for usage for recharging - both technologically and regarding warmth - and internet. The Bedford Hills Community House is also available.

Fraietta has been working since the storm to bring dry ice and water to the front of the Town House, which will continue until the demand is significantly lessened and the power problems diminish.

Fraietta also urges residents to regularly check on the elderly members of their family, especially considering the frigid nights experienced around the area.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.