ARMONK, N.Y. -- Built on the historic Yale Farms, an 1870 Armonk colonial has a deep-rooted history in Northern Westchester and was once home to one of the area's most accomplished residents.
Located at 6 South Sterling Road , the wooded property was originally located in the town of North Castle. Eventually, the land was purchased by attorney John William Sterling during the turn of the 20th century, and Yale Farms was founded. A Connecticut native and Yale alumnus, Sterling co-founded the New York law firm of Shearman & Sterling in 1871 and would go on to represent clients such as Henry Ford and the Rockefeller family.
From 1912 to 1915, Sterling began purchasing land in Greenwich and North Castle in anticipation of the Westchester and Boston Railroad's planned construction. Although the railroad was never built, Sterling kept his 1400 acres of farmland in North Castle and gradually built a sprawling estate.
Upon his death in 1918, Sterling donated his $15 million estates to Yale University, which at the time, was the largest contribution ever made to a college. As a symbol of gratitude, Yale constructed several academic buildings his honor, including the Sterling Memorial Library, Sterling Law Building, the Hall of Graduate Studies and the Sterling Hall of Medicine. When Sterling purchased land in North Castle, it consisted mostly of vast farmland, now called Yale Farms, it features some of the most elegant and beautiful homes in Westchester.
Named after the estate's founder, the listing at 6 South Sterling Road sits on over three acres of the county's most sought-after land. The property features modern amenities such as a tennis court, pool and four-car garage while paying homage to its historical past. This classic Colonial with a modern edge has been completely restyled and refreshed since its original build. The dramatic setting is perfect for those who enjoy luxury and a bit of history as well.
For more information about this listing or to find another home by Houlihan Lawrence, click here.