NORTHERN WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- The following is a round-up of the top stories of the week for northern Westchester County.
- A federal lawsuit is blaming the Golden's Bridge Fire Department for causing a 2014 fire that severely damaged its own firehouse.
- Erik Godinho, a 20-year-old who played football for Putnam Valley High School, was killed in a motorcycle crash Sunday in Yorktown Heights.
- Hours after a motorist escaped death after striking a tree in the median of the Taconic Parkway in Mount Pleasant, a 71-year-old Pleasantville resident was killed in a similar single-car crash in Yorktown.
- A day after police announced a reported child luring event was a misunderstanding, the Chappaqua School District is asking parents in a letter and email to remind their children of the dangers of interacting with strangers.
- A cigarette tossed into a mulch pile outside a Somer's home is being blamed for causing a fire in the basement of a Lake Road residence, according to the Somers Fire Department.
- Just before the Jan. 1 deadline, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a new hotel and motel tax into law for 14 Westchester County communities.
- A Chappaqua girl who was stricken with a rare neurological disorder last year after suffering a foot injury is fighting to raise $1 million to help other children trapped by similarly painful situations.
- Three Fox Lane High School students were recently recognized for their success in The New York Times Student Review Contest.
- Maribel Sanchez Souther, 41, a former Yorktown High School track star, died Dec. 31, after a battle with breast cancer.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.