Want to see a SWAT unit and bomb squad in action? Visit inmates at the county jail? See Metlife Stadium from behind the scenes? Time is running out to register for the 2018 River Vale Junior Police Academy: The deadline is this Friday, Oct. 5.
Registration is ONLINE ONLY : www.RiverValeNJ.org
The academy is open to River Vale residents in the 7th and 8th grades who will:
- Witness a Bomb Squad operation;
- Watch a live demonstration by the Bergen County Regional SWAT Team;
- Take a trip to the Bergen County Jail and meet the inmates;
- Go for a behind-the-scenes tour of MetLife Stadium;
- Understand gangs and undercover work;
- See helicopter, motorcycle, bicycle and mounted horse officers in action;
- Discover the importance of team unity;
- Be trained in military drilling and ceremony;
- and more….
Classes will begin Oct. 22 at the Holdrum School and run every Monday for about 10 weeks from 6:30-8:30 p.m.
1. Students must be in Grade 7 or Grade 8 and maintain a “C” average. Students who have below a “C” average may request a waiver. Contact: Detective Lt. John DeVoe ( 201-664-2346, ext 1152 ).
2. Students must not have been arrested or referred to the Juvenile Conference Committee. Students having a conflict with this requirement may contact Sgt DeVoe.
3. Students must not be involved with any form of substance abuse (i.e., cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, etc.).
4. Attendance is mandatory in order to successfully complete the program. Certain exceptions may be made for conflicts in schedule — including but not limited to sports programs, school-related functions, religious obligations, etc. Students may contact Sgt. DeVoe for further information regarding absences.
5. Students must complete all sections of the online application. Incomplete applications will NOT be processed.
6. Parents/Guardians and students must complete the Hold Harmless Agreement in the application.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.