An attempt to unclog a toilet at the Garden State Plaza sent one person to the hospital for chemical exposure Wednesday, authorities said.
The shopper was transported after a mall maintenance worker and plumber poured two different types of chemicals down the same drain causing a hazardous condition, local police said.
Paramus police, firefighters and EMS responded along with a Bergen County hazardous materials team on reports of fumes in the food court -- which was evacuated as a precautionary measure at approximately 9:30 p.m.
"The dining terrace at Westfield Garden State Plaza was evacuated last night due to an odor from a nearby restroom," mall spokeswoman Lisa Hermann said Thursday.
"The issue has since been resolved and the dining terrace and restroom are open regular hours."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.