WEST MILFORD, N.J. -- With summer closing and school days resuming, AAA reminds drivers to watch out for pedestrians before and after school hours.
In the last 10 years, roughly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3 and 7 p.m., according to AAA.
Pompton Lakes and Wanaque public schools start their years on Wednesday, Sept. 2.
West Milford and Ringwood public schools begin classes on Thursday, Sept. 3, followed by the Bloomingdale public schools on Wednesday, Sept. 9.
Tips to remember when driving during the school year include:
• Slow down and be mindful of speed limits in school zones
• Come to a complete stop and check crosswalks and sidewalks for children
• Eliminate distractions such as cell phones
• Slowly backup when reversing and check all blind spots
• Watch for bicycles and make sure children wear bike helmets
• Talk to teen drivers about safety
CLICK HERE for more safety tips and information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.