CLIFFVIEW PILOT AT THE SCENE: Everyone inside got out safely, a two-alarm fire has been extinguished in a dilapidated multi-family home in Northvale — and firefighters are being hailed for preventing a potential catastrophe.
CLIFFVIEW PILOT photo
Heavy smoke poured from 490 Tappan Road, at the corner of Danny Lane, where a fire broke out on the second floor shortly after 8 tonight.
But firefighters got to the scene quickly enough to prevent the fire from spreading to the property next door — a yard full of tractors, mowers and other gas-powered equipment, witnesses said.
“It could have been a disaster if that fire spread,” a neighbor told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.
A source with direct knowledge of the situation said the building will be condemned and likely demolished.
“They had to cut holes in roof to vent it and filled it with water,” a witness told CLIFFVIEW PILOT. “But it was in pretty bad shape to begin with. Firefighters wound up making holes in the floor as they went through.
“[The building] apparently hasn’t been taken care of in years.”
A few families living there got out of the house right away, he said.
No injuries were immediately reported.
Northvale firefighters were assisted by their colleagues from Norwood, Closter, Rockleigh and Tappan, N.Y.
SUPPORT Cliffview Pilot:
Click here to follow Daily Voice Northern Valley and receive free news updates.