SADDLE RIVER, N.J. – A Saddle River home -- that in the early 1900’s twice served as the borough’s post office and once as its general store -- has hit the market for $924,900.
The home, known as the Debaun House, was built in the late 1890’s and was designated a Saddle River landmark in 1986. It sits near the intersection of East Allendale Avenue and West Saddle River Road.
It was once owned by John G. DeBaun, who ran a general store and post office out of an adjacent building. The other building burnt down in 1900, forcing DeBaun to temporarily move the post office and general store to the first floor of his home.
In 1910, the new store building burnt down, and DeBaun again temporarily moved the post office into the home.
Many of the historical elements of the home – such as its stained glass windows -- have been preserved, and an addition was put on in the 1990’s create more living space.
The three-bedroom, three-and-a-half bath home is located at 145 West Saddle River Road.
For more information and photos of the home that is listed by Special Properties Real Estate Services, CLICK HERE .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.