Firefighters battled bone-chilling temperatures and stiff winds while dousing a Maywood garden apartment complex fire that apparently was ignited by a candle.
Two apartments are a total loss and nearly a half-dozen others were severely damaged, displacing 10 residents, Maywood Police Capt. Terence Kenny said.
The American Red Cross found them temporary lodging, the captain said.
No injuries were reported.
The blaze broke out around 9:30 p.m. on the second floor at the Maybrook Garden Apartments on Demarest Place, Kenny said. The last engine returned at 2 a.m., he said.
PHOTO above: Damien Danis for Daily Voice
Among those assisting their Maywood colleagues either at the scene or as backup were firefighters from Hackensack, Lodi, Paramus, Rochelle Park and Saddle Brook.
VIDEO: Courtesy JeffStang Fire Photography ( click link for more videos )
ALSO GO TO FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/njemergencyincidentpadge/
CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS
PHOTOS above: Damien Danis for Daily Voice
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.