With help from a variety of law enforcement agencies, Bergen County prosecutor's detectives smashed a local drug ring, arresting five people during a series of quick-strike SWAT raids in Garfield, Lodi and Hackensack, authorities announced Tuesday.
Responders grabbed three defendants who tried to flee a vacant first-floor Garfield apartment that was being used to process and package heroin for sale – among them, third-floor resident Frankley Sanchez-Javier, 31, who “jumped through a glass pane window before being apprehended outside,” Acting Bergen County Prosecutor Dennis Calo said.
They arrested two others separately, in Lodi and Hackensack, Calo said.
Seized were more than 3½ pounds of packaged heroin, nearly three pounds of cocaine and more than five ounces of unpackaged heroin, along with $140,000 in drug cash, the prosecutor said.
Bergen County Regional SWAT team members led a raid of the Midland Avenue heroin mill in Garfield, as well as at Sanchez-Javier’s apartment two floors above.
The ad hoc strike force also raided:
- two Hackensack apartments – on Railroad Avenue and Lodi Street – where co-defendant Mario Tapia-Hernandez, 31, was living:
- a Prospect Avenue apartment, also in Hackensack, where co-defendant Luis Otero, 33, lived;
- a Kipp Avenue basement apartment where co-defendants Randy Rosa-Garcia, 24, and Nicole Bonilla, 23, lived.
All are unemployed, except for Tapia-Hernandez, who Calo said works for ICS Voice & Data on State Street in Hackensack. Authorities charged them with various drug offenses.
Bonilla was released pending a Feb. 13 first appearance in Central Judicial Processing Court in Hackensack.
Tapia-Hernandez was released with conditions and Rosa-Garcia was released outright following a detention hearing Monday
Otero and Sanchez-Javier remained held Tuesday in the Bergen County Jail pending detention hearings.
There was a lot of credit to go around, Calo said.
For their roles in the takedown, the prosecutor thanked:
- the Hackensack, Garfield, and Lodi police departments;
- New Jersey State Police HAZMAT;
- the DEA New York Drug Enforcement Task Force, Group T22;
- Homeland Security Investigations (Newark and JFK);
- the Bergen County Sheriff’s Office;
- the Bergen County Regional SWAT Team.
(The DEA’s New York Drug Enforcement Task Force includes agents, officers and investigators of from the DEA, New York State Police and the NYPD.)
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.