Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Hackensack Daily Voice serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack
Return to your home site

Menu

Hackensack Daily Voice serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: NJ Bookkeeper From NY Gets Two Years In Fed Pen For Inflating His Payroll By $500,000
News

THESE ARE THE NAMES: Attorneys Reveal Hundreds More NJ Priests Accused Of Sexual Assault

Releasing names of over 300 perpetrators accused of sexual misconduct in New Jersey Diocese; and  New Jersey Bishops sued for maintaining public hazard in concealing names and histories of known perpetrators.
Releasing names of over 300 perpetrators accused of sexual misconduct in New Jersey Diocese; and New Jersey Bishops sued for maintaining public hazard in concealing names and histories of known perpetrators. Video Credit: andersonadvocates

The names of nearly 300 New Jersey clergy members accused of sexual misconduct were released Monday by attorneys.

The church earlier this year released a list of 188 priests credibly accused of sexual misconduct, but Phillipsburg-based attorney Greg Gianforcaro, who represents victims of sex abuse, says many clerics were left out.

Jeff Anderson & Advocates, who named boy scout leaders listed in the "Perversion Files" last month, posted the 300 names in "The Anderson Report" Monday as Gianforcaro held a press conference in Elizabeth.

Dozens of priests were named from Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic and Union counties.

Gianforoco at the conference announced a lawsuit filed in New Jersey Superior Court by Ridgefield Park's Edward Hanratty, who came forward as a survivor of sexual assault last Augustagainst New Jersey's five Catholic dioceses.

"This is the single most important piece to the puzzle of this crisis that many of us have been living with for decades and beyond," Hanratty said at the conference.

"Survivors are being believed and their motives are no longer questioned, but we are still not anywhere close to the entire scope of what this tragedy really entails."

Gianforcaro says the dioceses created a “public hazard” by not naming all accused priests.

"The bishops and Cardinal Tobin made a conscious decision to only disclose some of the diocesan priests and clerics," the attorney told Daily Voice.

"We felt it was important to disclose what information we knew because otherwise we can't rely on the bishops and cardinal Tobin to release this list.

"They claim to be open and transparent but they are not. They are selective."

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE PRESS CONFERENCE LIVE STREAM.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Hackensack Daily Voice!

Serves Hackensack, Maywood, Rochelle Park & South Hackensack

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.