Henry P. Becton Regional High School's first female superintendent who last summer was placed on administrative leave has filed a gender discrimination suit against the district, the school board and its president.
Louise Clarke -- who was quietly placed on administrative leave last October -- says that she was verbally abused and harassed for being a woman in the high-level role, NorthJersey.com reports .
The suit -- in Superior Court earlier this month -- claims that district Business Administrator Nicholas Annitti of asking her if she was having sex with another employee. It also says an administrator referred to Clarke as "that [expletive] woman in the back."
In early August 2018, the Carlstadt-East Rutherford Board of Education voted not to renew Clarke's contract, which expired June 30, 2019, meeting minutes show.
Acting Superintendent Dario Sforza said the board will begin searching for a permanent replacement in the spring.
Sforza released the following statement to Daily Voice:
As you are already aware, on August 8, 2018, pursuant to Mrs. Clarke’s employment contract, the Board of Education voted to non-renew Mrs. Clarke’s contract which expires June 30, 2019.Mrs. Clarke is currently on a paid administrative leave until her contract expires. This claim has been forwarded to our attorney for review. As this is a personnel matter pending litigation, we are not able to comment any further at this time.
Clarke worked as a Spanish teacher at the high school for nearly 35 years before coming its first female superintendent in 2014.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.