Attrition and an expanding community have been met in Palisades Park with the addition of six new police officers with diverse skills and backgrounds.
- Kevin Choi, 24, formerly a special police officer in neighboring Ridgefield;
- William Duarte, a 27-year-old former special police officer in the borough;
- Martin Kim, a 31-year-old U.S. Marine Corps veteran who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan;
- Brian Kunz, 24, a former special police officer in the borough;
- Michael McDermott, 27, the borough Fire Department battalion chief;
- Robert Then, 23, a borough police dispatcher.
With the exception of Martin Kim, the new officers begin the Bergen County Police Academy on Friday. Those who complete their courses successfully will begin patrols in June.
Kim is completing his degree in theology at Nyack College and will continue his current training at the Passaic County Police Academy as an alternate route recruit. He’s expected to graduate March 1.
The new hires bring the department total to 38.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.