What Jei Yu saw when she came home from Leonia High School Friday was smoke coming from the walls of her house.
She ran inside to grab her dog before contacting police and her mom, but it was too late.
The house caught fire due to faulty wiring, according to a GoFundMe page, that had raised more than $1,200 as of Monday morning.
Yu is an aspiring musician and lost all of her recording equipment in the blaze.
She and her family are staying in a hotel apart from their dog.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.