MONTVALE,, N.J. -- It’s Super Bowl time. Are you game ready?
Before you sit down to cheer for the Broncos or the Panthers, you’ll want to make sure you've got enough food on hand to serve your family -- and whoever else may be popping by.
Chef Gwynn Galvin, creator of Swirls of Flavor food blog and a national culinary expert based in Montvale, advises making it easy on yourself by prepping things in the slow cooker. That way, you can enjoy the game as much as your guests.
Her suggestion? Salsa Verde Chicken, which features just three ingredients. "Surround the slow cooker with yellow or white rice, tortillas and an assortment of toppings such as chopped avocado, cilantro, minced jalapeno, sliced scallions, sour cream and shredded pepper jack cheese," she said. "Everyone can serve themselves throughout the game."
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
Yield: 5 cups/6 servings (Recipe can be doubled to feed a crowd!)
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in chunks
- 1 envelope (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa verde
- In bowl combine chicken and taco seasoning mix, tossing until evenly coated. Arrange in bottom of slow cooker.
- Pour salsa verde over chicken. Cook seven to eight hours on low or three to four hours on high.
- Stir and serve with rice and/or tortillas and assorted toppings such as those mentioned above.
To spice things up, you can also offer an assortment of appetizers. Galvin's Buffalo Chicken Dip can be found HERE. For kids -- and kids at heart - she suggests Mini Mac ‘N Cheese Bites; click HERE for recipe. Pepperoni Pizza Dip is another winner (click HERE). Round out your apps with Sriracha Honey Chicken Wings for a sweet and spicy kick pre kick-off. Go HERE.
For more recipes, go to www.swirlsofflavor.com/.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.