FAIR LAWN, N.J. — With summer ending and school resuming, AAA reminds drivers to watch out for child pedestrians before and after school hours.
In the last 10 years, roughly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3 and 7 p.m., according to AAA.
The first day of school for the Fair Lawn and Glen Rock school districts was Sept. 2, while St. Anne School in Fair Lawn welcomes students back on Wednesday, Sept. 9.
Tips to remember when driving during the school year include the following:
• Slow down and be mindful of speed limits in school zones
• Come to a complete stop and check crosswalks and sidewalks for children
• Eliminate distractions such as cell phones
• Slowly backup when reversing and check all blind spots
• Watch for bicycles and make sure children wear bike helmets
• Talk to teen drivers about safety
CLICK HERE for more safety tips and information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.