At least one arrest was expected as part of what sources say was an undercover sting involving the New Jersey State Police that led to the theft and sale of more than a dozen kilos of narcotics that had been seized as evidence.
An investigation was confirmed -- without elaboration -- by both agencies.
Neither has publicly identified the department veteran, who a source familiar with the situation said surrendered his service weapon and badge and was “walked out of the building” last week.
Bergen County Prosecutor Mark Musella’s public information officer responded to an inquiry with an email reply Thursday evening, Nov. 9.
“I can confirm that we are working with the AG's Office on an investigation,” Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Elizabeth Rebein wrote in the email. “That's all I know.”
Authorities in Trenton haven’t gone beyond confirming that the attorney general’s Office of Public Integrity and Accountability is conducting the probe, assisted by Musella’s Confidential Investigations Unit, under the auspices of the state Division of Criminal Justice.
All that will change, of course, once formal charges are announced, law enforcement sources said (Daily Voice will identify him at that point).
The detective began his career in law enforcement in another New Jersey county and was promoted to his recent position after more than five years with the Bergen prosecutor's office, who has locations at the courthouse in Hackensack and in Paramus.
Some of his tenure was as a member of the Narcotic Task Force before he was moved to another unit, sources said.
CHECK BACK FOR MORE DETAILS
Click here to follow Daily Voice Bergenfield and receive free news updates.