More than 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year in the United States, the ASPCA reports.
Several local rescues are giving those animals a better life with the help of fosters and adopters.
Below and above are some animals who need "fur-ever" homes.
Email Cecilia Levine to post an adoptable dog or cat.
- Clifford: Clifford came to Bergen County Protect & Rescue from West New York in September. Approximately three years old now, he is a very handsome red nosed Stafford Terrier who is one lovable energetic young male. Clifford loves people, giving kisses, long walks, his toys and loves to run. He gets along well with children and with other dogs, which makes him great family dog.
- Jud: Shy and timid at first, Jud — a Jack Russel terrier — is an absolute love. He is comfortable and has all of the good, energetic traits of the breed.
- Sisters Grace and Sienna: These 10-month-old catahoula/setter mix sisters — at best guess — couldn't be sweeter. Grace is a little more outgoing while Sienna is a little more timid. But both end up with their head in your lap after a play session. The girls are almost full grown at 30 pounds but are still a little skinny.
- Bailey: Bailey is approximately 8 months old and is a Chocolate Lab mix. She is a very good, sweet puppy who loves physical contact. When she is resting she likes to put her paw or face on your feet. Bailey love people and is extremely smart. She is current on her vaccines and house trained. Bailey will need a home without other dogs.
- Celine: Celine is an Egyptian Shepherd mix and is approximately 2 years old. She spent most of her life in an Egyptian shelter where she was abused along with her sister who died before they could get them out so they expedited getting Celine out.
- Sasha: This sweet, 6-month-old husky mix loves dogs of all shapes and sizes but is very high energy — and her playmates tire of her quickly. She needs a home with a dog who is incredibly high energy who she can run with. Sasha loves playing ball outside and would make a great agility partner or running buddy.
- Kate: This 38-pound hound mix, affectionately referred to a “Katie," is a sweet and affectionate, playful girl. Katie has the mannerisms of a dedicated watch dog “securing the perimeter” of the house upon awakening and when she is satisfied all is well, she returns to the bedroom with Mindy until they begin their day together.” She responds to “sit”, “treat” and “no” so, she undoubtedly has lived in a family environment at one time. She plays well with the other family dogs/fosters and they in turn took an immediate liking to her, thus welcoming her into their “Pac”.
- Bogo: This Beagle / Coonhound mix is full of energy, enthusiasm, and love. "Bo" is estimated to be about 4 years old but is as playful as a puppy! He loves to run, play, and meet other dogs and humans! He would likely fare well in a large family (possibly with children or other dogs) who can devote to him all the time and attention he so very much deserves!" He is neutered and up to date on all of his shots.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.