Twenty-three people were left homeless by a fire in Ocean City on Friday, Jan. 27, authorities said.
A GoFundMe page has been created to help those displaced by the fire on Simpson Avenue.
The fundraiser was established by local nonprofit El Pueblo Unido to help support the survivors of the fire.
"We are currently working with countless other organizations, churches, businesses, and kind neighbors to provide hot meals, clothing, gift cards and hygienic supplies over the next few days," the fundraiser says. "Please contact us if you would like to donate any of these items as well and we can connect you directly to the victims involved."
Funds raised will be evenly distributed among the families to help them secure permanent housing.
According to the GoFundMe age, the victims include:
- 1st Floor - A Family of 4 including one teen enrolled at OCHS
- 2nd Floor - A Family of 5 including three young children
- Rear Cottage - A Family of 4 including two young children
- 10 other Individuals living in single rooms on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd Floor & Rear Cottage
This complete list of all victims has been compiled by the Ocean City Police Department, the American Red Cross Association, and El Pueblo Unido Community Organization.
El Pueblo Unido is in constant communication with all 23 community members affected by this devastating fire and said that the second floor was completely burned by the fire and all residents on the floor had lost all their possessions including documents, clothing, work tools, electronics, money and other valuables.
The first floor was completely flooded and is uninhabitable (walls and ceilings are falling apart) due to the amount of water that was necessary to put out the fire. The unit lost electricity, and residents have lost many possessions including documents, work tools, furniture, food, and electronics.
The third floor has sustained damage due to the fire below and many possessions have been damaged due to the flames and smoke. The entire third floor may be structurally unfit for residents to move back in.
The rear cottage received no physical damage from the fire however all residents have been evacuated from the property due to a gas leak that has not been contained and still poses a serious threat moving forward.
Click here to view or donate to the GoFundMe.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Atlantic and receive free news updates.