The Northwestern District Attorney’s Office said on Wednesday, Oct. 21, that George Cortina, 62, of Turners Falls, is being charged with crimes connected to the Oct. 4 accident on Route 2 in Greenfield that left Jonathan Rohrs, 41, of Acton, and his dog dead.
Cortina is to be arraigned on Monday, Oct. 26. He is being charged with:
- Motor vehicle homicide;
- Operating under the influence of drugs causing serious bodily injury;
- Operating under the influence of drugs, second offense;
- Negligent operation of a motor vehicle;
- Possession of a Class A controlled substance (heroin);
- Marked lanes violation (a civil offense), the DA said.
The accident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. on a Sunday, police said, near mile marker 51.6. A Ford Explorer, driven by Cortina, allegedly crossed over the centerline and into the westbound lane, striking a Toyota Yaris driven by Rohrs, the DA said.
Cortina and a passenger were transported to a hospital to be treated for “serious” injuries, the DA said.
The incident was investigated by Greenfield Police, Massachusetts State Police, and the Northwestern DA’s office.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Hampshire Franklin and receive free news updates.