Contact Us
Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT
Return to your home site


Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Body Found Now Believed To Be Missing NY Woman Gabby Petito, Authorities Say
Police & Fire

Woman Killed By Police In DC Was Reportedly A Stamford Dental Hygienist

The Stamford Police Department's Special Operations vehicle is on the scene of the investigation into the high-speed car chase and shooting near the Capitol. Photo Credit: Casey Donahue
Stamford police block the roads near Scalzi Park on Thursday evening. Photo Credit: Casey Donahue
Stamford police cars converge on an apartment complex near Scalzi Park where the suspect in the Capitol car chase and shooting reportedly lived. Photo Credit: Contributed by Anthony Buzzeo

Update 10 p.m.: STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford police were still waiting for a warrant late Thursday to search the home of the woman who was shot and killed by police in Washington, D.C., after a wild chase, police said. 

The FBI had not received a warrant yet to search the woman's apartment, according to Jon Fontneau of the Stamford Police Department. The FBI is in charge of the investigation with help from the Stamford police and the Secret Service. The Department of Environmental Protection was also on the scene.

Dozens of evacuated residents of Woodside Green were told that may not be able to get back into their apartments Thursday night, police said. Officials said that they would not be letting any residents in until they determined that the building was safe. Red Cross officials were on the scene, and a shuttle was expected to take them to a temporary shelter at a school, police said. 

None of the neighbors seemed to know the suspect, Miriam Carey, 34. They expressed frustration about waiting outside for hours and not being allowed to return to their homes. 

Bridge Street remained closed between Washington Boulevard and Summer Street because of the police investigation. 

Original story: STAMFORD, Conn. -- Officials Thursday evening were swarming the Stamford home of the woman who led officers on an 80 mph chase between the White House and the Capitol and who was shot to death by police, said police.  

NBC News identified the woman as Miriam Carey, and television footage showed the bomb squad surrounding a building at 114 Woodside Green in Stamford.  

The building, across from Scalzi Park near downtown, was surrounded by police cars and the bomb squad late Wednesday, and residents were evacuated. A Google search of Carey's name and the address revealed that she is a registered dental hygienist. She had a history of mental issues, NBC News said.  

Media outlets reported earlier that a car involved in the high-speed chase in D.C. -- a black Infinity with Connecticut plates 323-YNS -- was owned by a Connecticut resident who was born in 1979. 

The woman - who had a year-old child in the car with her - was shot to death by police after the high-speed chase and many police attempts to stop her, police said in a news briefing in Washington, D.C. The motive behind her actions was not known, police said. 

"This appears to be an isolated incident," said Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine. "There is no nexus to terrorism."

The police said the incident began unfolding at about 2:30 p.m. when the woman was stopped by officers. She took off and officers shot at her car, but she continued to flee, police said. She hit a security barrier near the White House and was pursued by Secret Service officers, police said in the televised press briefing. 

The woman drove about 80 mph for the 1.5-mile drive to the Capitol and was stopped at the foot of Capitol Hill, but she sped away again and officers opened fire again, police said. 

Her car crashed near one of the Senate office buildings, where officers fatally shot her and rescued the 1-year-old in her car unharmed, police said. 

The U.S. Capitol, where representative and senators were debating the government shutdown, was locked down during the incident.

A police spokesman called the incident "isolated," during a press conference in Washington, D.C. "We are not talking about the suspect at this point," he said. He confirmed the suspect was dead and that a 1-year-old child who was in the car was safe.

"This does not appear to be an accident," a police spokeswoman said. "This was deliberate."

All members of the Connecticut delegation tweeted that they were safe after the shooting and the subsequent lockdown at the Capitol on Thursday.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Wilton Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.