Contact Us
Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT
Return to your home site


Police & Fire

Wilton Man Burned Trying To Light Fire

WILTON, Conn. – A Wilton man suffered second- and third-degree burns Tuesday night using alcohol to light a fire pit at a Nod Hill Road home.

Wilton Fire Marshal David Kohn said the 19-year-old was using denatured alcohol to light a smoldering fire pit on a porch and likely was burned when the vapors of the liquid ignited.

“Most people don’t realize it’s the vapors that ignite first,” Kohn said.

Kohn said several people were on the patio and wanted to have a fire for the evening. Kohn said burn victim was a guest at the home.

He was taken to Bridgeport Hospital for burns to his arms, torso and legs. Kohn did not identify the victim, citing medical privacy rules. The fire marshal did not know the man’s condition.

“I just hope that the patient recovers and there’s no serious damage,” he said.


to follow Daily Voice Wilton and receive free news updates.