Fourteen people from five counties as well as New York City have been ticketed for illegal alcohol sales following a compliance check of local retailers throughout Putnam County.
Undercover members of the Sheriff’s Department’s Narcotics Enforcement Unit say they worked alongside the Putnam County Communities That Care Coalition to conduct a total of 89 spot checks on establishments that offer alcoholic beverages for sale for off-premises consumption.
During these checks, an undercover and underage individual attempts to purchase alcohol from the establishment without showing proof of age as required by law. If the sale is completed, the party responsible for selling the alcohol is issued an arrest summons and charged with first-degree unlawful dealing with a child.
The spot checks were conducted at various times throughout the day in each town and village located in Putnam County.
Of the 89 establishments checked, 14 were found to be in violation of the Alcohol and Beverage Control Act. The individuals charged include:
- Chetranie Indarpersaud, 42, of Newtown, Connecticut, employed at the Border Beer and Soda (3867 Danbury Road in Brewster)
- Shannon Tompkins, 23, of Carmel, employed at House of Wine and Liquors/ Kent Liquors (1100 Route 52 in Carmel)
- Timothy Pachonka, 52, of Patterson, employed at Route 311 Liquors/ Patterson Wine and Liquors, (1270 Route 311 in Patterson)
- George Varghese, 48, of Milford, Connecticut, employed at Border Wines and Liquors (3687 Danbury Road in Brewster)
- Dennis Lebron, 52, of New Windsor, employed at Box Bev Inc./ Carmel Beverage Center (323 Route 52 in Carmel)
- Mike Boakye, 38, of the Bronx, employed at Brewster Gas and Mart 76 (494 North Main Street in Brewster)
- Tatyana Johnson, 20, of Peekskill, employed at Gulf (1122 Route 9D in Garrison)
- Mujde Francis, 57, of Danbury, Connecticut, employed at Citgo Borderline Food and Beverage (182 Fairfield Drive in Brewster)
- Harry Cua, 18, of North Salem, employed at Putnam Wine and Spirits (1926 Route 6 in Carmel)
- Mitchem Williams, 35, of Carmel, employed at Brewster Gas and Mart 76 (494 North Main Street in Brewster)
- Karin Ramos-Perez, 23, of Danbury, Connecticut, employed at El Universal (26 Main Street in Brewster)
- Sujan Chhetri, 24, of Carmel, employed at BP Route 22 Convenience Store (876 Route 22 in Brewster)
- Heidy Sarceno, 34, of Brewster, employed at Saj & V Grocery (145 Main Street in Brewster)
- Gregorio Baizan, 42, of Brewster, employed at La Guadalupana Mini-Mart (70 Main Street in Brewster)
A conviction for this offense carries a maximum penalty for up to one-year imprisonment and/or a fine not to exceed $1,000, according to the Putnam Sheriff’s Department.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.