Contact Us
Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT
Return to your home site


Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT

Nearby Towns


Keep Fire Safety in Mind at Thanksgiving, Wilton!

WILTON, Conn. - The following message from the Wilton Fire Department asks  residents to keep fire safey in mind while cooking on Thanksgiving Day.

With Thanksgiving just around the corner and everyone looking forward to a great holiday meal, it is important to remember that the majority of accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the leading cause of kitchen fires is unattended cooking.

Never leave the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food. If you must leave, turn off the stove until you return. When simmering, baking or boiling food, do not leave the house. And use a timer to remind you that the stove is on. When cooking, establish a three-foot kid-free zone around the stove. Do not wear loose-fitting clothing that may catch fire if it gets too close to the burner. Remember "Stop, Drop and Roll" if your clothes catch on fire.

In the event that a fire occurs, property damage can be drastically reduced if people know what to do. The Wilton Fire Department suggests the following steps when confronted with a fire in the kitchen.

  • Call 911
  • If the fire is confined to a pan on top of the stove, slide the lid across the pan and leave it there. Do not attempt to move the pan outdoors because you may burn yourself or spread the fire.
  • Never throw water or flour on a burning pan. Water will spread the flames, and flour can cause a dust explosion.
  • Do NOT turn on the exhaust fan over the stove. This could suck the fire inside the walls of your home. If the fire is in your oven, close the door to cut off the fire's air supply and shut off the heat.
  • Install a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Make sure it is accessible in the event of a grease or oven fire. When purchasing a fire extinguisher for kitchen use, make sure the extinguisher is rated for Class ABC fires to ensure its acceptability for use on kitchen fires.

If the fire is too large to safely cover, or for your fire extinguisher, leave the house immediately and call 911 from a neighbor's phone. Trying to fight a fire yourself when it's too large can cause far more extensive damage and can result in serious, unnecessary injury.

Keep your kitchen fire-safe for the holidays.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Wilton Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.