The incident occurred in Stony Brook on Saturday, Sept. 9 at the Kumo Sushi & Steakhouse when the diners began projectile-vomiting and experiencing extreme gastrointestinal illness.
According to Suffolk County Health Department officials, 28 people, including children were sickened with 12 requiring hospitalization.
Suffolk County Health officials said the culprit points to mishandled and improperly stored cooked rice.
On Monday, Sept. 11, the owners of the restaurant took to Facebook to thank first responders and speak about the restaurant. They did not offer an apology to customers in the statement.
'To our loyal customers and friends who have reached out with words of support, we are profoundly thankful for your understanding and unwavering support," the post said. "Please trust that we take this incident seriously, and we are already working diligently to regain and maintain your confidence in us."
The statement went on to say they consider their customers an extension of their family and "your well-being remains our top priority. We are committed to learning from this incident, enhancing our practices, and ensuring that every visit to Kumo is not just a meal but a memorable and safe experience."
Responses on Facebook were swift and harsh with more than 342 comments.
Many pointed to the lack of an apology and others called the statement "hollow" and "protecting themselves from lawsuits."
On Wednesday, Sept. 13, mother and daughter Danielle Krauss and Jacqueline Krauss, both of South Setauket, filed a lawsuit in the state Supreme Court in Suffolk County.
Their attorney, Jory Lange, of Houston, Texas, who specializes in food poisoning cases across the country including many in New York, told Daily Voice he has date filed a total of four lawsuits against Kumo.
Lange said the food poisoning incident actually began on Wednesday, Sept. Sept. 6, and continued through Saturday.
"I believe we will find many more people were sickened from the rice that they (the restaurant) continued to use," he said.
Lange also said customers trusted the restaurant and were shocked by the violent illnesses contracted, but also very disappointed in the lack of an apology from the restaurant.
In the Krauss lawsuit Danielle Krauss said within an hour after eating rice at the restaurant, Danielle started feeling sick to her stomach. She experienced nausea and vomiting. One by one, people in her party started running to the bathroom, vomiting. The suit said Danielle was still sick at the time the complaint was filed.
Lange has also filed suit for Mark Posner of Suffolk County who ordered takeout from Kumo on Thursday, Sept. 7.
"Within an hour after eating rice at the restaurant, Mark started feeling sick to his stomach. He experienced nausea and vomiting," the suit said. "As a result of consuming Defendant’s contaminated food products, Plaintiff incurred substantial medical expenses and endured great physical pain, discomfort, mental anguish, and suffering."
The Suffolk County Department of Health Services issued approximately 15 violations including eight for foodborne illness risk factors.
Corrective actions have been taken related to the violations and the restaurant is now re-opened, Suffolk County officials said.
Kumo is referring questions to their attorney for comment.
This continues to be a developing story. Check back to Daily Voice for updates.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Westport and receive free news updates.