Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Feds Issue Urgent Warning On Popular Home Exercise Device
Police & Fire

Stamford Man Charged With Assaulting Co-Worker With Pitchfork, Broom

Benjamin Delacuesta-Ortega
Benjamin Delacuesta-Ortega Photo Credit: Scarsdale Police Department

STAMFORD, Conn. — A Stamford man who works at the Boulder Brook Equestrian Center in Scarsdale, N.Y., was arrested on charges of assaulting a co-worker with a pitchfork and broom for “not closing the stable doors behind him,” police said.

Shortly before 8 a.m. Wednesday, May 10, police were dispatched to the Equestrian Center after a call from a man who reported that he and his brother were being assaulted by a co-worker, police said.

Upon arrival, officers saw a man walking away from the horse stables with a metal bat in his hand, police said. The man, who identified himself as Benjamin Delacuesta-Ortega of Stamford, was handcuffed for officer safety and later identified as the assault suspect, police said.

The victim suffered various injuries to his face and back, police said. Officers were told, through a translator, that the two worked together and had gotten into an argument the day before and again that day, police said. The disagreement turned physical, police said.

The victim told police that the argument was over a work-related issue, and that Delacuesta-Ortega was “getting upset that the victim wouldn’t close the stable doors behind him when transporting horses.”

According to police, the victim said that Delacuesta-Ortega struck him in the face with a plastic pitchfork. He then struck him with a broom near his left eye, causing the broom shaft to split into two pieces, police said. The victim suffered bruising and swelling to his left eye and was bleeding from his lip from the pitchfork, police said.

Delacuesta-Ortega then threw the victim into one of the stalls, startling a horse, which proceeded to kick the victim in the back, causing bruising, swelling and an abrasion, police said. The victim was able to contact his brother, who arrived with a friend and called 911, police said. Delacuesta-Ortega then allegedly left the stable and returned with the metal bat, police said.

Delacuesta-Ortega was arrested, and the victim was transported to the Westchester Medical Center for treatment.

Delacuesta-Ortega was charged with a felony count of second-degree assault and criminal possession of a weapon with intent to use, a misdemeanor. He was remanded to the Westchester County Jail and is due back in court later this year. A temporary order of protection was also issued to the victim.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.