STAMFORD, Conn. -- A fire in a bird's nest on a light tower along the third base line in Cubeta Stadium caused no injuries but canceled the game Saturday night, Stamford fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived on the scene at the stadium in Scalzi Park at 120 Bridge St. at 9:27 p.m., responding to a 911 call.
They found a very large bird’s nest on top of the third base line tower was fully engulfed in flames and raining embers down onto the field and bleachers. Firefighters evacuated people from the area and kept the bleachers from igniting with the use of a hose line.
Additional fire companies, including a 75-foot aerial ladder, were called to the scene.
The ladder was raised to the top of the light tower, and water was applied to the nest and extinguished the fire.
Due to damage from the fire, the lights were unusable, fire officials said. So the baseball game, which was in progress at the time of the fire, was cancelled.
A total of 14 firefighters on two engines, one truck, and one command vehicle responded to the alarm and arrived within three minutes.
No injuries were reported, and the damage was limited to the lighting system.
The last fire company cleared the scene at 10:21 p.m.
There was no information on whether any birds were injured or how the fire started.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.