STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford's annual Independence Day fireworks show will be held on Thursday, July 2, and will have even more explosions than last year, Mayor David Martin announced Friday.
“The fireworks show is one of the city’s signature events of the year and I am pleased to see residents, city officials and our corporate community coming together to celebrate our nation’s independence,” Martin said.
The rain date is Friday, July 3.
The free event at Cummins Park will include more firework shells than the 2014 show and feature entertainment for residents throughout the evening. The fireworks show will be put on by Bay Fireworks and entertainment will be provided by DJ More than Music.
Viewing is also available at Cummings Park.
The city expects the event to again be supported by the Stamford corporate community with multiple Stamford corporations expressing a willingness to help.
“This is a great team effort by the city staff and a wonderful free event for the residents of Stamford. We’re looking forward to an exciting and safe event,” said Laurie Albano, superintendent of Recreation for Stamford.
Here is the schedule:
• 6 p.m.: entertainment begins • 9 p.m.: fireworks display
Here are more details on the event:
• No parking on either side of Shippan Avenue from Wallace Street to the Magee Avenue intersection as of 3 p.m.
• No parking on the left side of Iroquois, Wampanaw and Rippowam roads as of 3 p.m.
• No parking on the south side of Myrtle Avenue from the intersection with Elm St. to #162 Myrtle as of 3 p.m.
• At 8 p.m. the intersection of Shippan/Magee will be closed to southbound traffic with resident-only access at that time. At 8:30 p.m. Magee Ave. will be closed to traffic.
• At 9 p.m., Shippan Avenue from Wallace Street north will become one way northbound only in two lanes. Magee Avenue will be one way northbound only in two lanes.
After the show:
• Traffic exiting Shippan Point will be directed north onto Magee Avenue and west onto Jefferson (Urban Transitway) for access to Canal Street, Atlantic Street, Washington Boulevard, and I-95.
• Traffic exiting Cummings Park via Shippan Avenue will be directed north onto Shippan Avenue to access Elm Street, Myrtle Avenue, I-95 and East Main Street.
• Traffic exiting Cummings Park via Soundview Avenue will use Soundview Avenue or Willowbrook Avenue to Cove Road.
• Foot traffic at Cummings Park will be released first, followed by vehicles.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.