Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Sites

Breaking News: Fairfield County Man Killed, Wife Seriously Injured In Crash

Anthony Megale, Former Mob Kingpin, Dies At Stamford Hospital

Anthony Megale, a former high ranking member of the Gambino, died Tuesday at Stamford Hospital of a heart attack. He was 61.
Anthony Megale, a former high ranking member of the Gambino, died Tuesday at Stamford Hospital of a heart attack. He was 61. Photo Credit: FBI

STAMFORD, Conn. -- A former underboss in the Gambino crime family died Tuesday night at Stamford Hospital, according to The Advocate.

Anthony Megale, 61, became the acting underboss of the Gambino family in 2002 after Peter Gotti was arrested on racketeering charges, according to Wikipedia. Megale was also known as “The Genius", "Tony Connecticut," "Machiavelli," "Mac," "The Brain," "Mr. T" and "Gas Man."

Megale was born in Italy, attended Post University in Waterbury for two years -- majoring in recreation -- and resided in North Stamford with his wife and three children. He joined the Gambino crime family, and was convicted of a narcotics offense in 1982. His scrapes with the law were only beginning.

He was sentenced to six years in prison in 1990 after pleading guilty to racketeering. His plea deal included an admission he was a member of La Cosa Nostra, and drew the ire of Gambino boss John Gotti. He was released from prison on parole in 1995. He returned to prison in 1998 for 11 months for associating with criminals.

In 2001, Megale became a capo -- a high-ranking member -- of the Gambino crime family and became the underboss in 2002.

Megale was indicted on 38 extortion charges in September 2004, and pleaded guilty to lesser charges in October 2005. He was sentenced to 86 months in prison.

The extortion charges stemmed from evidence gathered by Harry Farrington, the owner of two Fairfield County strip clubs who was being extorted by mobsters from the Patriarca crime family of New England. Megale, incensed that another crime family was moving into his territory, also extorted money from Farrington.

Farrington began making recordings of the dealings, and his recordings led to a prison sentence for Megale. Megale also extorted money from companies in Westchester County in New York as well as in New Jersey.

Megale was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2006 to reduced charges in connection with a case in New York. He served his final prison sentence in Pennsylvania, and was released on Dec. 1, 2014.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.