STAMFORD, Conn. -- Stamford's new Tavern 489 shares space in Tawa India Cuisine's freestanding colonial-style building, bringing the feeling of a mountain lodge.
"We've taken the bar portion of Tawa's expansive restaurant space and played off the focal point of the room’s massive stone fireplace and created a mountain lodge atmosphere featuring upscale tavern fare, wild game and libations," said owner Eric Monte. He's also the creator and co-founder of The Fez, a Moroccan-inspired restaurant and live-music venue located in downtown Stamford.
Tavern 489 is separated from Tawa's main dining room by wooden trestle dividers and velvet curtains. It's been transformed into a country mountain lodge, with forest-green walls, large stone fireplace and high-ceiling wooden trusses. The 45-seat restaurant and bar also features an 18-seat mahogany bar with a backdrop mirror.
The foundation of Tavern 489's hearty, local and seasonal menu comes from French chef Regis Saget, Monte's and his long-time culinary partner. Saget grew up in southwest France on a vineyard, and his family reared its own animals and grew its own produce.
Small plates include
- French onion soup au gratin;
- wild mushroom ragout with a poached egg and sautéed greens;
- Canadian poutine with hand-cut fries, cheese curd and rich gravy; and
- lobster salad with citrus dressing.
Menu highlights also include
- half of a roasted, marinated chicken with roasted masala;
- braised shorts rib with maple Salvador Paulaner beer;
- homemade sausages with lentil stew;
- a seasonal specials board highlighting local wild game, bird and carving boards such as pheasant, quail, venison and rabbit; and
- wild salmon with faro, corn, mushrooms, chorizo, tomato, spinach, and escabeche.
Wine enthusiasts can look forward to Monte's cellar picks, as well as limited-edition wines from his extensive collection. Beverage offerings also include a brown spirits program, creative cocktails, house-made infusions and craft beer menu.
Tavern 489 will also feature Monte's signature vertical wine tastings and wine maker dinner series, seasonal game dinners, live singer-songwriter sessions, and book author readings and poetry nights.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.