A sailor from Connecticut is among the 10 sailors who are missing after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asia on Monday, the U.S. Navy confirmed.
Electronics Technician 3rd Class Dustin Louis Doyon, 26, is from Suffield. He enlisted in the Navy in April 2015, and his first ship was the USS John S. McCain.
The remains of one sailor have been recovered — Electronics Technician 3rd Class Kenneth Aaron Smith, 22, of New Jersey.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the Doyon family as this tragic search continues," U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal said. "The Navy owes the family and our nation a swift and thorough investigation to determine how this could have happened and how to prevent future tragedy—the fourth major accident at sea this year and the second involving a Connecticut sailor."
In June, Ngoc T. Truong Huynh of Watertown was one of seven sailors killed when the USS Fitzgerald collided with a container ship off Japan.
"As a member of the Armed Services Committee, I will be asking Chairman McCain and Ranking Member Reed to hold a hearing on the Navy's measures to investigate and correct the serious deficiencies that contributed to these collisions,” Blumenthal said.
U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy said, "Dustin is a patriot and a hero. My prayers are with the Doyon family.”
Doyon's family issued a statement earlier this week.
"On behalf of the entire Doyon family, we want to thank all those who have expressed concern and offered prayers and support as we await word from the U.S. Navy on our son and brother Dustin who is assigned to the USS John S. McCain. We appreciate the courageous work of the crew in the aftermath of the collision and the continuing rescue efforts. As you can imagine, this is a very difficult time for our family and we respectfully request that you honor our privacy."
He was a 2009 graduate of Springfield Cathedral High School in Massachusetts.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.