Officials from several Fairfield County cities and towns and cities have issued advisories for trick-or-treating on Halloween.
In Stamford, Mayor David Martin announced the city is discouraging traditional Halloween trick-or-treating this year and advises residents to not participate in trick-or-treating of any kind with individuals outside your household.
All variants of trick-or-treating often require contact with individuals from outside your household and therefore present a risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus.
Like other communities across Connecticut, Stamford is seeing a trending increase in the average of new positive cases of COVID-19 per day.
“Stamford’s community has adapted remarkably well to social distancing and mask guidelines this year, however, we have seen an increase in cases since September and we must renew our vigilance to keep our community safe and healthy,” said Mayor David Martin. “We are potentially at the beginning of a second wave across Connecticut and in our community. We must take this threat seriously to keep this virus under control and save lives.”
Currently, Stamford has more than 2,000 cases of COVID-19. An increase of more than 1,000 just since Oct. 5, according to the state Department of Health.
The same goes for Ridgefield where there have been nine new cases in the past week.
First Selectman Rudy Marconi said his office announced that the annual town Halloween Walk has been canceled as well as many Main Street businesses forgoing their annual candy giveaway due to COVID-19.
Marconi said the town is attempting to avoid becoming a "red zone" area and area asking residents to refrain from any direct contact while trick-or-treating.
The town is also requiring all residents to wear masks and to social distance.
In Norwalk, Mayor Harry Rilling is strongly discouraging traditional Halloween activities, such as trick-or-treating, trunk-or-treating, indoor haunted houses, costume parties, and social gatherings due to the risk of spreading COVID-19.
“We are seeing a rapid increase in COVID-19 cases, and while I understand there is quarantine fatigue, and people are itching for normalcy, no amount of candy is worth putting loved ones in jeopardy," the mayor said. "Please consider the health and safety of family and friends and follow all public health guidance.
Last week, the city was notified that it reached “red-alert” status per the State Department of Health. The alert is based on having more than 15 positive COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents over a two week period.
As an alternative, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is recommending Halloween activities, such as carving pumpkins or visiting an orchard.
City officials are also suggesting parading up and down the street in your neighborhood to show off costumes, then open candy at home that has been purchased at your home.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.