NORWALK, Conn. -- The Norwalk Police Department will continue the “U DRIVE. U TEXT. U PAY.” initiative to crackdown on motorists who choose to text, talk or otherwise distract themselves from the task of driving by using phone.
According to surveys conducted after last year’s crackdown, there was an 8 percent drop in phone use by drivers at observation locations throughout municipalities where police conducted enforcement, police said. The drop in observed use is encouraging to law enforcement agencies.
The campaign will run from Aug. 3 through Aug. 16 and marks the second time this year law enforcement agencies will mobilize by adding special patrols.
The last operation, which took place during April 2016, resulted in over 12,000 citations issued to motorists, police said. Nearly 50 law enforcement agencies including both state and local police are again participating in this operation – aimed at keeping Connecticut’s roadways safe.
“We’re making gains," said Lt. Terry Blake. “Considering the seriousness of this problem and the fact that we saw movement in the right direction is a sign we need to continue to this program.”
The Department of Transportation had announced in April that the results of recent research found an estimated 11.1 million occurrences of distracted driving happen each day throughout the state of Connecticut. According to the findings, it is estimated that 9.6 percent of drivers were either texting or talking on a hands free device.
“Unfortunately, the fear of a getting a ticket is the only incentive for people to change their behavior," added Blake. “Everyone thinks they can do it, that a crash won’t happen to them. Sadly, we see it every day and it can and does happen."
Under Connecticut’s cell phone and texting law, violations involve heavy fines, ranging from $150 for a first offense, $300 for a second violation, and $500 for each subsequent violation. In 2014, 3,179 people were killed and an estimated additional 431,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
Connecticut remains the only state in the nation to receive special distracted driving prevention funds – the same funds that allow for special patrols to identify, stop and cite drivers who choose to ignore distracted driving laws. Over $6.8 million dollars has been awarded to the state over the last three years specifically – to fund campaigns like this one.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.