The local sports honorees will be recognized at the 12th annual Sports Night awards dinner, Monday, Oct. 17 at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich at 6 pm.
In each of the 16 towns, a committee headed by a local town representative of the Commission, selected a Sports Person of the Year. Each winner was deemed to have had the most positive impact in their sports community from Aug. 2015-Aug. 2016.
The Sports Persons of the Year are:
- BRIDGEPORT -- University of Bridgeport Women's Soccer Team, NCAA D-II Final 4
- DARIEN -- Darien High Football Team, Undefeated Class LL champions, ranked #1 in state
- EASTON -- Barlow High Boys Golf Team, Division II state champions
- FAIRFIELD -- Ludlowe High Lacrosse Teams, Sticks for Soldiers program
- GREENWICH -- Adnerys De Jesus, Greenwich High gymnast, won all 5 Class L state titles
- MONROE -- Brian Walker, Runner who has participated in a road race in all 169 CT towns
- NEW CANAAN -- Olivia Hompe and Sarah Mannelly, Women's college lacrosse Top 25 players
- NEWTOWN -- Curtis Urbina, Youth wrestling coach
- NORWALK -- Seiji Hosokawa, Norwalk High Boys Tennis, State Open champion
- SHELTON -- Shelton High Football Team, Class LL State runner-up
- STAMFORD -- Stamford High Girls Basketball Team, Class LL State Champions
- STRATFORD -- Tyler Matakevich, Temple football, National D-1 Defensive Player of Year
- TRUMBULL --Jenna Bike, St Joseph High Girls Soccer, National Player of the Year
- WESTON -- Mark Berkowitz, Weston High Athletic Director
- WESTPORT --Lucas Hausman, Bowdoin College basketball standout
- WILTON -- The late Tom Fujitani, legendary Wilton High football coach
With the 16 new honorees, the FCSC has honored a total of 183 local sports persons.
FCSC is a 501c3 non-profit organization that is the one-stop resource for the county's sports community, with a mission of promoting fitness and personal development through sports. The Commission, with the exception of the executive director, is an all-volunteer group that gives financial support and its resources back to its communities, primarily focused on the 110,000 school age youngsters it can reach with its fitness awareness education programs under its Chelsea Cohen Fitness Academy.
For more information concerning tickets and sponsorship opportunities for Sports Night, visit www.fairfieldcountysports.com or call Tom Chiappetta at 203-984-4806.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Newtown and receive free news updates.