Mattress Firm, the nation's largest mattress retailer, will close 700 stores nationwide, including six in Connecticut, after filing for bankruptcy.
It has more than 3,200 stores and nearly 10,000 employees in the U.S. and in recent years had aggressively expanded its retail footprint.
That rapid expansion of stores, including locations often close to each other, resulted in "cannibalization" of sales, the company said.
The six Connecticut locations closing are:
- 927 West Main Street, Branford
- 99 Farmington Avenue, Bristol
- 3475 Berlin Turnpike, Newington
- 575 Boston Post Road Route 1, Orange
- 9 Fieldstone Commons, Tolland
- 1055 Silas Dean Highway, Wethersfield
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.