NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- New Canaan High School was ranked the second-best public high school in Connecticut by education research website, Niche, partially due to its highly rated academics and teachers.
Niche ranked high schools across the nation on a set of six weighted criteria that included:
- Health and safety
- Student culture and diversity
- Survey responses
- Teachers grade
- Resources and facilities
- Sports and fitness
New Canaan High excelled in nearly every category, earning an A+ rating in academics, teachers grade and health and safety. The school of 1,343 students lagged only in culture and diversity with a grade of C+.
In addition, New Canaan High boasted a 98 percent graduation rate, well above the national average of 81 percent.
New Canaan High also ranked above the national averages in SAT scores at 1,890 and ACT scores at 30.
Weston High School claimed the top overall spot in Connecticut.
Fairfield County was well represented throughout the list, especially at the top, boasting seven schools in the Top 10:
- No. 1: Weston High School
- No. 2: New Canaan High School
- No. 3: Staples High School
- No. 4: Darien High School
- No. 5: Simsbury High School
- No. 6: Ridgefield High School
- No. 7: Wilton High School
- No. 8: Greenwich High School
- No. 9: Glastonbury High School
- No. 10: Amity Regional High School
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.