Police are offering residents guidance on preventing the theft of holiday packages.
During the holiday season, there is an increase in online shopping, which means the items will be shipped to your home, said Sgt. Dan Skoumbros, of the Darien Police Department in Fairfield County.
Skoumbros said there are concerns that package thefts will increase in the coming weeks.
To make sure you hold onto all of your gifts, police are offering some tips to ensure a safe holiday season.
- Have your package delivered to your workplace.
- Require a signature for delivery.
- Schedule the delivery when someone will be home.
- Ask a trusted neighbor or friend to pick it up.
- Arrange for the package to be delivered at the backdoor, so it is not visible from the road.
- Install video surveillance.
- Be aware that criminals sometimes pose as couriers delivering gifts.
- It is not uncommon for criminals to take advantage of the generosity of people during the holiday season by soliciting donations door-to-door for charitable causes although no charity is involved.
- Ask for their identification, and find out how the donated funds will be used. If you are not satisfied, do not donate.
- Donate to a recognized charitable organization.
- Do not open the door to strangers.
Securing Your Residence:
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.
- Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.
- Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors.
- If your home has a security system, enable it at night, and every time you leave the residence.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables inside your car where they can be seen from the outside. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- Save your receipts and monitor your credit card activity.
- Do not use public Wi-Fi to make purchases in order to prevent hackers from intercepting your information.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.