Two Range Rovers stolen from driveways in New Canaan have been recovered in two different New Jersey cities.
According to New Canaan Police Chief Leon Krolikowski, both were stolen on Thursday, April 13, from driveways on Valley Road.
Both stolen vehicles were unlocked and the keys were inside of each vehicle. These vehicle thefts occurred during the early morning hours, he said.
One stolen vehicle was recovered in Newark, and the other in Irvington, Krolikowski said.
The chief said both crimes could have been prevented with the following tips:
- When unattended never leave the keys to your home or car inside a vehicle or in a place where a thief can find them. Do not leave the valet key, key fob or garage door opener inside of your vehicle.
- At night, keep the perimeter of your home & driveway well lit. Low energy lighting switched on and off by photoelectric sensors (low light switches) is a cost-effective way to discourage criminals.
- Always lock all doors, garage doors and windows of your car and home whenever you leave, day or night, even for a short time. If you have a garage, put your car in it and lock/alarm both the car and the garage. All of the thefts from vehicles and vehicle thefts that occur in our Town involve unlocked vehicles.
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle. Often, identity theft occurs when drivers’ licenses and credit cards are stolen.
- Always activate your home and car alarm systems. Many successful crimes that occur in our Town involve houses or cars that have alarm systems that were not activated.
- Consider a video security system for your home. Many good systems are inexpensive and easy to install. If you have a system, make sure the video quality is good and the cameras cover your driveway and vehicles.
Never hesitate to contact NCPD at 203-594-3500 for assistance.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.