A search for a missing man who may have been swept away by flood waters on Tuesday has been called off.
North Haven Fire Chief Paul Januszewski said the search was called off around noon Wednesday after the entire area where the man had been reported missing was canvassed.
The search for the homeless man who lives in a camp began after the department received a call for help at 7 a.m. Tuesday from a man who lives in a campsite near Banton Street due to the Quinnipiac River flooding.
The Fire Department rescued the man, who was trapped in about four feet of water, using a boat, and he was transported to Yale Hospital suffering from hypothermia, Januszewski said.
While helping the first man, he told rescuers he was concerned about another man who lived in another camp nearby that he hadn't heard from, the chief said.
The area of the search, along with southeastern Fairfield County and New Haven, had been especially hard hit with flooding during Tuesday's rains.
Januszewski said the department searched the area near Route 15 on foot and with the use of a drone and ATV's.
"We covered the entire area and listened for calls for help as well as searching intently," the Chief said. "Because we didn't' find anyone, and no one else has reported him missing, we had to call off the search."
Click here to follow Daily Voice Fairfield and receive free news updates.