Hotel Worker Killed In Caribbean Had Drugs, Alcohol In System, Darien Dad Says

A Fairfield County man who is facing manslaughter charges on the Caribbean Island of Anguilla for killing a hotel worker told reporters the whole event is a "nightmare."

The resort where the death took place.
The resort where the death took place. Photo Credit: The Malliouhana/Facebook

Scott Hapgood, 44, of Darien, told a room packed with reporters during a news conference on Tuesday, Aug. 20, in Manhattan that his family's life changed forever on Saturday, April 13, the day he allegedly killed the hotel employee he says attacked his family.

A financier with UBS, who is currently on leave, Hapgood, comments come as toxicology reports show that the hotel worker had cocaine and other drugs in his system and a blood-alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit stateside.

Hapgood's attorney, Juliya Arbisman, of Amsterdam & Partners LLP based in London, said in a prepared statement: “The toxicology report confirms that Scott Hapgood had no choice but to defend himself and his children from the frenzied attack of a man under the influence of a dangerous combination of illegal drugs and alcohol."

In a written account to the New York Times, Hapgood, who was vacationing with his wife and five children, claims that the worker -- 27-year-old Kenny Mitchel -- showed up to their hotel room at a five-star Caribbean resort, the Malliouhana, and said he needed to fix a broken sink.

Once inside the room, Hapgood said the worker pulled a knife on him and demanded his wallet and money. That's when a struggle took place and Hapgood says he was stabbed and bitten by Mitchel.

"I feared for my life, as well as the lives of my daughters," he said during the news conference.

Hapgood's daughters, who were in the room at the time, called the front desk for help, the Times said.

Hapgood was charged three days after the attack when local unrest spurred police to take action. He returned home to Connecticut hours later after posting $74,000 bond. 

His attorney has argued that with such unrest over the death and threats to her client's life, it is unsafe for him to stay on the island for three required hearings this week. 

“If you cannot guarantee his safety, we urge you not to require his physical attendance at every procedural hearing, especially if the only matter of that hearing is an adjournment that you, yourself, are bringing,” Arbisman said. “This is not only good law, it is also common sense.”

The request was denied. The hearing on the manslaughter charges is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 22. 

Island officials say Mitchel died of positional asphyxia and blunt force injuries.

to follow Daily Voice Fairfield and receive free news updates.